Saturday, January 20, 2007

Insomnia

"Do you believe you're missing out,
and everything good is happening somewhere else?"


Maybe this is the reason I stay up late at night and never really fully fall asleep. I started listening to music when I'm trying to sleep at night, and I put all my music on shuffle. Last night, I was zoning out when this song, "Jesus Christ" by Brand New, came on. I've never listened to it the whole way through, but for some reason, this lyric popped out at me.

Sorry, this may not seem interesting to anyone else, but whatever. It's just that I never really pay attention to what many "artists" say while they're singing, unless it's Bob Dylan...or Eric Clapton...or Bradley Nowell...Kurt Cobain...well, you get the picture. I'm sure there's some great songwriters out nowadays, but I'm pretty sure that most of them have nothing of value to say to me while I'm in this particular stage in my life.

Maybe I'm close-minded, but I just can't find any deeper meaning in "I'm bringing sexy back."

Yeah?

Anyways, I'm off on a tangent. My point is that this lyric just popped out at me last night at around three o'clock in the morning. It was after about fifty or sixty other songs that didn't say anything special to me, not at that particular moment anyway.

I realize it's not an extremely complex structure or anything, it's a relatively simplex statement. But it hit me at that time, and I really needed it at that moment in my life. Lying in bed, with absolutely nothing on my mind, I realized that there's a lot more of this world than Albuquerque. In fact, I'd always realized it, but now it's become amazingly clear to me that if I want to experience life in the fullest, I need to free myself from physical and spiritual schackles that keep my body and my mind tethered.

Goddamn, music really can change a life. It can be dramatic, or just simple.

I like that.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Aunt Kristi said...

Oh, Robbie...I wish you could come visit us for awhile. I bet we'd cure your insomnia. We'd either bore you to sleep or exhaust you; I can keep people employed for days, literally, with cleaning and yard projects. I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Insomnia is the worst.

I love your blog. :-)

4:47 PM  
Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

Albuquerque - dude I've been there (once about...6 years ago) and trust me there is a hell of a lot more then that one place.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Bird on a Wire said...

I came across this one lyric that really spoke to me:

"Fergalicious definition: make the boys go loco." Or here's another bit of genius: "This shit is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S."

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home