Thursday, January 11, 2007

Gadgets

I love electronics shit. I got an iPod for Christmas, and even though I hate that America has become so materialistic, I love it. Nothing beats having literally months of music on you at all times. Plus, I can watch episodes of South Park anywhere I go. Hey, c'mon, I know it's toilet humor, and I feel kinda dirty after watching it, but what the hell? So I find release in crazy dirty TV shows rather than drugs or alcohol. Sue me.

But that's another story for another day. The reason I bring up iPods and gadgets is to show an extreme generation gap. It seems to me that these generation gaps are getting smaller in length as time progresses. First off, dad still can't turn on the computer without staring at it blankly for ten or fifteen minutes. Technology is evolving rapidly, and humanity is barely keeping up with breakthroughs.

WMA. MP3. DVD. HDTV. All of these formats have become extremely popular in the past ten years. You don't even see VHS tapes or cassettes in stores anymore. It even looks like the life of the CD is nearing extinction. It's so much easier to download something off the internet rather than rush to the nearest Hastings, where they may or may not have what you're looking for. Why go through the hassle?

And mind you, this is only in the past couple of years. Only in the past couple of years has text messaging become popular among high school and college kids- this is creating a gap between siblings. The technological world is making it impossible for us to keep up. Before we know it, humans will be obsolete.

I'm getting carried away. This isn't really my worry...

My problem has to do with my own sense of nostalgia. I really miss standing in line waiting for an album or movie to come out. I miss having something that separates the real fans from the posers. Now, any moron with a computer can rip an album weeks before it's "technically" released. The same goes for movies.

Some technology is good for society, but in a way it is ruining the entertainment industry. This makes me extremely sad, and I worry about the future of art in our world.

3 Comments:

Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

I had palnned to hold on to my i-river forever but I to have gone over to the Vidoe i-pod and mean 80GB how can anyone not love it?

1:38 AM  
Blogger Bird on a Wire said...

"The Departed." Only one month away. Christ, it's about time you posted something new.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Bird on a Wire said...

"The Departed." Only one month away. Christ, it's about time you posted something new.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home